At Medicine Wheel Dental we find ozone to be an invaluable aspect for patient care. Ozone is a natural derivative of oxygen, yet when heard, many may think of it in connection with air pollution. However, ozone actually protects us from harmful sunlight that may cause skin cancer. Actually, there are many important uses of this powerful, naturally occurring gas used throughout the U.S. that benefit us every day. Some major cities use ozone to sterilize public water systems, sterilize the fruits and vegetables we eat and the bottled water and sodas we drink. It also may be used in air purification systems, commercial laundries, swimming pools and spa baths.
The medical community, has been using ozone for decades to speed up wound-healing and to treat a variety of diseases. Most of the original research was carried out in the U.S. and Europe in the early 1900s.
Controlled ozone application has been found to be extremely safe and free from side effects — far freer than most medications, including antibiotics. What could be more natural since our own bodies produce ozone at the white-cell level to kill offending microorganisms? The ozone molecule is the most powerful agent that we can use on microorganisms. It is deadly to bacteria, viruses, and fungi, yet the more highly evolved human cells are not damaged by ozone in lower concentrations. Ozone’s pioneering use in dentistry naturally followed.
Ozone is immensely beneficial in the treatment of disease. This substance stimulates the body’s natural immunity while promoting optimal circulation for tissue healing. When ozone contacts unhealthy cells, it produces a reaction referred to as a transient oxidative burst. Healthy cells are not affected, only those that pose a threat to optimal wellness, such as bacteria, fungi and viruses.
In our dental office, we use ozone in a number of valuable ways throughout our office and for preventive and restorative procedures.
- Ozone is us used in our dental instrument water lines to keep them clear and kill harmful bacteria and viruses naturally
- Reduce teeth sensitivity during cleanings (Oral Insufflation), single injection sites and procedures
- Due to the healing properties and anti-bacterial properties of ozone, it is used for many of the procedures we offer such as crowns, fillings, bridges and other dental restorations
- Carries Arrestment, as it slows down process of cavity worsening and development
- We have found that ozone helps with bone soreness, pain, and infection and aids in the healing process after dental procedures
- Used in deep cleanings, ozone thoroughly irrigates tooth/gum pockets and is followed by our dental laser for the best combination of healthy teeth and gums
- For those on our Periodontal Pocket Reduction Programs, we include the use of ozone for dynamic results
If you have any questions regarding the benefits of ozone or our use of it, please contact us as we are happy to answer any and all of your questions.