The ReOrient Express Percussion Table will enable wider access to the healing therapy of soft tissue trauma release, while at the same time greatly reducing the amount of time required to produce beneficial results…I believe it fills a huge void in the non-invasive delivery of health care and wellness for a population whose thirst for such approaches is unquenchable.- Richard Fisher, DDS, MAGD, MIAOMT
Introducing the ReOrient Express, Dr. Swidler’s Percussion Therapy Table
After 18 years of development and 14 prototypes, we are excited to introduce, for the first time ever, the World’s first Percussion Therapy Table, the ReOrient Express. It was developed by Dr. Steven Swidler. Mentored by Dr. Fulford since 1979 when he retired to Tucson, Az., Dr. Swidler was given Dr. Fulford’s blessing for the development of a single-sourced whole body percussive treatment modality.
In 1996, at the Cranial Academy Conference in Chicago, 3 months before he died, Dr. Fulford’s advice to the attendees was that they must embrace new technologies and lead healthcare or face becoming marginalized as others less trained or qualified take their place.
The ReOrient Express was designed to help carry OMM and its practitioners into their rightful position as leaders of manipulative treatment and patient care.
It is our hope that those interested in Osteopathic research (trainers / teachers / practitioners) will consider exploring the merits of working with this percussion table as it is introduced into the world of healthcare.
The ReOrient Express looks like a massage table. When it is turned on and one is laying on it, it feels like laying down on an old time train. The mechanical drive delivers a single sourced whole body percussion experience that is tunable both in amplitude and frequency. When tuned to each person’s unique system, all joints, suspended without vertical loading in gravity, the table induces spontaneous fascial strain pattern unwinding. The body’s inherent “re-set” function activates and the connective tissue “body glove” returns to it’s neutral (unstrained) balanced alignment.
The most difficult populations to get significant and lasting changes with are the obese, muscle-bound athletes, those in acute pain and the elderly. They are the very populations that the table works the best on. After the release, we focus on stabilization and strengthening new body use patterns. – Dr. Steve Swidler
Speaking the Body’s Own Language – Rhythmic Co-Ordination
Local percussion, described by Fulford, as treating areas of trauma created by a disturbance in the energetic field as well as physical changes in tissue (circulation/lymphatics/nerve signaling). These restricted areas represent a lack of resonance and coherency.
Percussion sweeps the field of energy sinks with new energy that mobilizes restricted tissue initiating automatic shifting of the fascia and the layers of strain patterns. This automatic shifting creates a state of spontaneous resonance/coherency within the tissues to create balanced motion, improved blood circulation, lymphatic drainage, and nerve signaling. All are improved, as well as function and range of motion. The percussion improves membranous and articular relationships improving CNS mobility, improved respiration, and balance. Restricted tissue is mobilized to improve function and healing in a balanced environment.
- Returns and brings us closer to the balanced state of the embryo’s original “genetic blueprint”
- A definite youthening experience as body stresses and strain patterns unwind and release
- Restores and refreshes – like your on your third day of vacation
- The new 15 minute “coffee break” – results in greater clarity, productivity and focus
- A non-invasive return to wellness with less pain and discomfort
- Sets the stage for integrative stabilization and body use training, so that old patterns do not return with old habits
- Assists the body to detoxify, as the majority of structural issues and compensations release
- Practitioners are able to immediately focus on the primary underlying patterns and offer patients very efficient release work, in one-third to one-fourth the usual time.
- Sessions are likely to be three to four times more effective as the automatic shifting of facial strain patterns and are put on “fast forward.” This occurs at a rate we have never been close to achieving before.
- After 4 days of testing before and after patients at Medicine Wheel Dental and Wellness Center, Dr. Toby stated the following: the ReOrient Express table is clearing 70 – 90% when the speed and strength of the table are matched to each person’s unique system. He mentioned, that most devices only clear only 5 – 8%.
- For patients with drug and chemotherapy treatment, it is best to start with only two to three minutes and increase during other sessions within their range of tolerance. The rapid unwinding of fascia can release excess chemicals from the lymphatics and tissue.
- As we eliminate restrictions, we increase flexibility, decrease pain and discomfort, and create a balanced environment which optimizes hormone and organ function.
- The table unwinds and resets the body’s connective tissues (fascia) to its balanced neutral state, where function and motion replace restrictions; the possibilities of connecting to a deep presence are optimized.
- In an injury, depending on the force and directional vector, some connective tissue and muscle gets stretched and some become compressed. There can be a body reaction of contraction that can affect your breathing depending if the injury occurred when holding the breath or if the “wind was knocked out of you.”
- Some injuries may result in getting knocked unconscious, getting dizzy and/or “seeing stars.” These are traumas where we have exceeded our “zone of adaptability” – our body’s ability to rebound back to equal and opposing soft tissue balanced motion dynamics.
- These injury or strain patterns, even after healing on the physical level, can remain in our tissue or cellular memory like the layers of an onion, for our entire life. The Table releases these layers in a sequence directed by the body’s own innate intelligence.
- Eventually, these strain patterns can restrict normal function and performance. We may call that “getting older.” As each strain pattern unwinds, the Table induces the release of other patterns on “fast-forward.”
- Single sourced
- Adjustable both in frequency and amplitude
- Laying horizontal, unloading the skeletal system, creates space allowing for connective tissue unwinding and resetting. Standing devices may further tweak joint mis-alignments into gravity loading.
- The ReOrient Express allows for 40 times the refinement of adjustability over standing devices with much less force required.
Attributes and Benefits
- Aids in deep sleep
- Eliminates “jet leg” overnight
- Greatly reduces stiffness, pain, and limitations of movement, creating a greater range of motion after only 12 minutes
- Increase bone density as per “whole body vibration” research
- Increases tone, stability, and equilibrium (Elderly walking studies)
- Helps clear “brain fog” and “writers block” rapidly
Whole Body Vibration (WBV) can be defined as low frequency environmental vibration transmission to the human body in the range of 0.5 to 80 Hz through a broad contact area, such as the feet when standing, the buttocks when sitting, or the reclining body when in contact with the vibrating surface.
WBV may refer to vibration training, also known as vibration therapy, biomechanical stimulation (BMS), and biomechanical oscillation (BMO), a training method employing low amplitude, low frequency mechanical stimulation to exercise musculoskeletal structures for the improvement of muscle strength, power, and flexibility.
Vibration training has been advocated as a therapeutic method in the treatment of osteoporosis, Sarcopenia, and metabolic syndrome, and is used in the fitness industry, physical therapy, rehabilitation, professional sports, spa, and beauty and wellness applications. Whole body vibration may also refer to the vibration exposures found in many occupational settings such as heavy construction, forklift operation, vehicle operation, and farming.
Studied by Russian scientist Vladimir Nazarov – found application in the Russian space program helping to prevent astronauts’ muscles and bones wasting in space.
- Kellogg: The eccentric health educator and Corn Flakes co-inventor, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, also utilized many WBV machines at his Battle Creek Sanitarium in Michigan in 1895. Violent shaking allegedly cured such ailments as constipation, headaches, and back pain. These machines were touted as a way of increasing tissue oxygenation.
- Russian Athletes
Fields of Applications
- Alternative/Integrative/Functional Medical practitioners
- Body Workers, Body Alignment professionals and Personal Trainers
- Naturopathic physicians
- Dentists – Body / Jaw alignment training by Dr. Swidler – Balance and alignment linked with unimpeded cranial bone motion, especially the temporal bones (of the TMJ complex). Jaw position is foundational to maintain stability after release work and before dental reconstruction or orthodontics. Best delivered with an Integrative Team
- Physical Therapists
- Pain clinics
- Sports Medicine
- Pre/Post Treatment for Recovery and Rehabilitation
- Yoga Therapists
- Performers and Public Speakers
- Corporate Health – the new “15 minute coffee break” can offer an increase in productivity, creativity and loss of tension patterns. Also, best to incorporate with body use education and ergonomics.
- Airline and Airports – eliminates jet lag overnight for passengers, pilots and flight attendants
- A re-centering experience for Workshops and Conferences
- Cruise Ships and Resorts
- Fitness Programs and Facilities
- Senior Communities and Elder Care Facilities
- Sleep Researchers and Clinics
- Writers: Bringing clarity and focus, the Table can help clear brain fog and “writer’s block”
- Biofeedback research: HRV, pulse, breath; Pulmonary function and volume; observe changes in symptomology before and after the Table and over time
- Exercise physiologists
- Acupuncturists: changes pulse diagnosis immediately after the Table to reveal underlying primary issues
- Structural Integration Practitioners
Read What Health Care Professionals and Our Percussion Table Patients Have to Say…
Dr. Fulford’s endorsement of this concept stimulated my interest in the Table. I’ve watched the development of the Table, had personal experience receiving its benefits and believe that it is and will be a significant healing tool. – Andrew Weil, MD
I was struck by the power and replicability of the kinds of experiences people have on the Table, including pain reduction and relaxation. – Gary Schwartz, PHD (Professor of Psychology, Surgery, Medicine, Neurology and Psychiatry, U of A)
The use of the impact wave as taught by Dr. Swidler’s percussion table does achieve fascial unwinding in a manner previously unknown in the art. – Harold Magoun, Jr., DO, FAAO, FCA, DO Ed (Hon)
Steve, thank you for letting me try your Table. Wow!!! I went into an altered state and felt resonances in many parts of my body, including my head. Now, afterwards, I feel energized, awakened, and calmed. All the sutures of my skull, all my sinuses, and all my teeth are still tingling in a nice energized way. – Chris Duffield, PhD (visiting scholar, Center for Consciousness Studies, U of A, former consulting professor, Pediatrics, Stanford University)
When my hostess, Kate, brought me out to see your Wellness Center last Monday, I had no idea what an amazingly lucky person I was to be. Thank you soooo very much for the wonderful experience in your massage chair, but most especially, your percussion Table.
My experience was initially one of heightened awareness of the sound of each ‘thump’ of the percussion…Quickly, the repeating intervals mesmerized me and reset the energy in my body into one sychronized rhythm, everything felt so in alignment. I felt the habitually sore muscles in my shoulders open up. And, my mind ‘went somewhere else.’ I felt sooooo relaxed! And, the feeling of expansion when my 12 minute session was over, quite surprised me. – Donna
One of the best things I ever invested in for my own healthcare program. I feel centered, refreshed and restored. My health is improving!
Dr. Swidler, the ReOrient Express is a marvelous device to indeed re-orient and re-align ourselves back to the original pattern of perfection…combined with Mercedez’s vast healing gift, I had a magnificent session. May your Table re-orient thousands of people. Hoorah, Dr. S! – Mia